2.12.06

Thanksgiving?

This narration will be a bit late, but it got almost forgotten in the chaos and weirdness of these past few weeks. On Thanksgiving, a few of us left for Goa in the evening. There's an overnight bus from Pune, so we left around 9 PM and got in around the same time the next day. However, even though we would be spending the holiday on a tropical beach (muahahaha), we decided to do something before we left to honor the fake turkey that we would not be consuming.

In ACM, we have a tiny little kitchen with a camp stove and a fridge full of bagged milk (we have tea every day during break). However, there's a girl on our trip who's been missing American food even more than I have been, so her boyfriend sent her a huge box full of macaroni and cheese (!!!), instant mashed potatoes, Spaghetti O's, and the like. So, the spirit of bounty, four of us got together and made kitchen magic for the holiday.

We feasted on two boxes of mac and cheese (I know, we're crazy) and instant mashed potatoes. Now, I'm not sure how this is possible, but I'd never had instant mashed potatoes before. We stood in awe as Emily dumped the flakes into water and they instantly became potatoes. Hence the name, I suppose. Emily and I looked at each other. "They're potatoes from space!" she exclaimed. Space, or Betty Crocker... both are equally magical, in my opinion.

So there we sat, plastic bowls full of carbohydrates, collapsed in folding chairs or just leaning against the wall. We went around the room in true Midwestern fashion, saying what each one of us was thankful for. It was funny at first, but then we really started thinking. We ended up with a few happy tears dripping into our mac and cheese (as if it needs more salt). All in all, it was a nice moment.

And I got my macaroni. Perhaps it'll become a Lee Family tradition in the future...

Love,
Sarah!

iPod: "Losing My Religion," Scary Kids, Scaring Kids

1 Comments:

Blogger The Rhythm of One said...

Space-tatoes! I'm marketing that. I called it.

12/02/2006 10:13:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home