12.8.06

Tuesday's coming

Things around here have been a little different since the terror attempts on British Airlines. I'm not sure exactly what's going on back in the US as far as security goes. I know that airline stuff has been tighter, but I'm not sure how everyday life is being affected. Over here, it's a bit tense, since India's Independance Day is on Tuesday. There have been threats in Mumbai and in New Delhi, especially against foreigners. I'm writing this not so that people will worry, but just so that if something does happen in Mumbai, I want you guys to know that I'm ok. Pune is relatively safe, and all of us blonde folk are just going to lie low for a few days. It'll give me an excuse to do my homework, pretty much.

Once again, I'm struck by the differences in the attitudes towards terrorism over here. Even though people understand the risk and are being smart about precautions, there's more of an air of "well, let's hope for the best, but life goes on." I'm not especially nervous, but I have no idea how I'd feel if I were in Mumbai instead. Hopefully nothing will happen, but the possibility is still a bit daunting.

Anyway. Moving on. I'm going to start work on my independent project soon, and I'm very excited. My original plan was to find a theatre company in the area and sort of shadow one of their productions. It would've been a great experience, but it wouldn't be very involved, and my head would probably explode from all the Marathi. So, the other day in class, I was spacing out (I admit it, ha), and was completely struck, lightning bolt-style, with an idea. I chose this study abroad program so that I'd be in the middle of a city, living with an Indian family instead of American students. I want to interact with people, not just learn about India through a book. So, as of right now, I'm planning on interviewing a group of Indian women from all walks of life... "upper" and "lower" caste, a rural woman, a younger woman, a widow, etc. I'll transcribe these interviews with the help of a Pune University student, compile them together, and then turn their experiences into a one-act, monologue-based play. If you're familiar with The Vagina Monologues or The Exonerated, I'm shooting for a similar style, with the play adopting a confessional style as opposed to a traditional play. It's a huge undertaking, but I'm passionate about it, and ACM is amazing at helping students get in touch with the right people in the community. I'll keep updating as things progress (hopefully progress, anyway). :)

Love,
Sarah!

iPod: "The Walk," Imogen Heap

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A bit sobering, to say the least. It's unthinkable to try to understand that any foreigner is a bad foreigner, that is, enough to want them obliterated...
The independent study project sounds fantastic! Hope you can work it out! Love, M

8/13/2006 04:28:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home