9.8.06

Out of order

So, I wrote this on one of my first few days here and completely forgot about it. It's not really relevant anymore, but it seemed profound-ish (maybe) at the time. If not profound, just really really adjective-heavy.

I'm sitting in the classroom, fruit flies swirling around my face as rain patters on the hard-packed dirt outside. Our professor speaks of the division of Pakistan and India, but my mind is on the tiny, mewling puppies living under the crumbling cement staircase outside. We discovered them during the break from class when an adventurous pup (who I named Sparky) came stumbling out. He wasn't much bigger than my hand.

The classroom is both inside and outside at the same time. There's a ceiling, a floor, and two cement walls. The space where the other walls would be is exactly that.. just space. They're nothing but air, allowing breeze to flow throuhg the classroom along with bits of the rain that falls outside. At this moment they serve as an emergency generator as our lights flicker and die as our fan slows to a stop. Our professor doesn't miss a beat. I can picture the scene if this were to have happened back in the US, at CC specifically.. "Whoa!" "Dude, what's going on?" "Woo hooooo!" Over here, it's just a part of almost every day.

I begin to space out even more, wishing that our daily break for chaha-- chai tea, known simply as "tea"-- would increase to, oh, say six breaks a day. I know that I can run across the street from our hotel to pick up a cup for 4 rupees, or about two cents. Maybe I'll do just that.

Love,
Sarah!

iPod: "Smile Like You Mean It," String Quartet Tribute to The Killers

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Interesting classroom- I had for some reason thought you were in a modern building. Thanks for the great photos- Ilike your "room"-
it looks cozy... so how are the puppies...:( love, M

8/09/2006 06:01:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home